Saturday, February 8, 2014

A Loooooooong Bus Ride

Well, I guess I'm having an adventure within an adventure.  Last night on the 7th I got on a bus in Santa Elana with Juan and rode it for about 12 hours to a place called Xela (pronounced shay' la.) It is up in the mountains of Guatemala and is considerably cooler. Not to confuse you or anything, but we traveled South, by South East. It's just like you read in the Bible when it says that they went up to Jerusalem when they were actually traveling in a Southward direction. (I believe that it was said of Jesus and His disciples and a few times in the Old Testament, but I don't remembered  ha exct references. Maybe you can help me and find some of them.) Any way, I'm here without any one who speaks English. The hotel clerk can speak some but other then that, no English. ( If I get in a real bind I can call brother Jimmy, so it's not unsafe.) It's total immersion. Even though it is embaressing and hard a lot of the time, I like it.

While Juan was resting fom the bus ride, Christian, his younger brother, took me around town. We walked through a park and an humongus out door market that had just about anything a person here could want. It was a good experience and fun to boot.  Before I left, I came up with some goals I wanted to accomplish on this trip and that was one of them - to see the people in their environment (culture) and learn Spanish.

The Lord has mercifully been with me and guided me the whole way and this particular time, it all started with a loooooooong bus ride.

P.S. Juan's family lives in Xela (shay' la) and he is also from there.

1 comment:

  1. "I knew I should've spent more time in Rosetta Stone..."

    -Joseph S.

    ReplyDelete